Sunday, August 12, 2012

SSiC~Preparing a Place


I am excited to be this week's hostess at Stampin' Sisters in Christ. This week the verse and challenge choice are mine, along with the devotional. Please be sure to stop by the SSiC blog and see all the fun and beautiful DT creations!
The Scripture:
John 14:1-6
"Do not let your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."
*********************************
My latest past time has been refurnishing and decorating a bedroom at our mountain “cabin” in Colorado. Due to the basement flooding, we had to throw out all the existing furniture, redo the drywall and replace carpeting. So, buying new beds, shopping for cozy comforters, sniffing mountain scented candles, scouting out a beautiful pine armoire and rustic hand carved shelving…all in the name of comfort and home…have taken a lot of my time and attention. All the while, I am anticipating our two daughters driving over the mountains from their separate homes for family gatherings in our cozy retreat. I am envisioning the welcome they will feel as they lay down their suitcases and plop on the beds, snuggling under blankets and laughing the way they used to as little girls. I have been, without even realizing it, preparing a place for them. Getting this room ready has brought me much delight because each detail and decision was made with my daughters in mind. There is just one more thing to complete the room…a nice soft night light.


When I read this passage of scripture, I can’t help but be amazed. The same God that created the universe in six days has spent the past eons of time preparing a place for his children in heaven. Jesus often refers to heaven as “my Father’s house.” And there are many “dwelling places” in this house. Culturally in Jesus time, families were joined together by adding an additional wing on to a single dwelling as the son would marry and bring a wife into the family. These wings formed a community around a single courtyard or patio. The picture here is of communion with the family of God.

Jesus is preparing a place for us. I can sense the anticipation in this passage, the longing of the Father to be with his children. What a comforting thought! If you are a mom and have children leaving home for the first time to college or moving away for a new career, take comfort! If you are a daughter whose parent or child has gone home before you, take comfort. If you have a prodigal, and like me, are looking down that long road searching for their face, take comfort! If you are weary of this world and its anxieties and cares and feel there is no place to lay your head, take comfort! Jesus is preparing a place for you!! I can almost picture the pillows fluffed, the welcoming glow in the windows. But we won’t need a night light. His light will fill the place, for He will reside with us in all His glory. I can only imagine the homecoming we will have!!

Revelation 22:5 “And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun because the Lord will illumine them, and they will reign forever and ever.”
*********************************************************************************

My Challenge: Create a card or project that depicts something that says "home" to you!







The first card uses an image that best reflects my devotional.
Here is my cozy cabin, all decked out with snow and a hint of Christmas in the air! I used Flourishes stamps and the Tuesday Challenge sketch featured this week on the Flourishes blog.  This card uses Flourishes "Snow Fun" set, Flourishes keyhole dies,  and colored in copics (light beige for trees and fence shading,  blues for snow and sky, and reds for the cabin.)  The background is a Sizzix folder with the edges inked in Tim Holtz Antique Linen ink. A Webster's "sparkler" is the final touch to my card, along with some glitter for snow. I combined two ribbons, a cream crochet and layered a deep red cream-edged over it using a 1/8 inch scor-tape.

My second card uses this week's sponsor's digital image! DRS Designs has generously sponsored this week with a 10.00 voucher to their store! I love this coffee image, it is cool and hip. And guess what, I learned something new! Paper piecing with digital! Home means a cup of coffee, and of course, hospitality. I used a lace doily for the side panel, a bright blue ribbon topped with a corduroy brown button and a brown pearl.
I do not usually dabble in digital, but wanted to give it a go. I used a tutorial from my friend and fellow SSiC DT member, Diane Noble.You can find the tutorial on her blog, Diane's Designs, with an exciting announcement. Diane has followed her dreams and has started her own store, Daydream Designs. This weekend she has lots of samples, tutorials, and free images to boot! I think I may have to learn digital to utilize some of her beautiful and unique designs. I won't spoil it for you, just go and take a look...you will be blessed!
 I hope you enjoy my creations this week...
And more importantly, I pray you are comforted by today's scripture.
Thanks so much for your visit. I hope you can play along in my challenge this week...and have fun creating your own homey creation!!





8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I can picture your Colorado cabin and getting it ready for your family "memory making" moments! Ummmm.....want to adopt a 60 year old? Absolutely love your cards too. Great post, fantastic devotion! Have a good week Traci!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci, thank you so much for opening your heart and sharing that insight from the Holy Spirit. I was touched all week by the scripture that God laid upon your heart and after reading your devotional, I know that God was speaking to me through you. Thank you for that willingness to be used of God to bless me! By the way, love your cards! I really like the cup of joe one. You me and Linda should get together for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, and foremost I LOVE the analogy of preparing the room for your girls...and how the Father prepares our home for us. That really strikes a deep chord...knowing how we mother's want to make it so special when our children come home. Just really love your devotional. I'll always remember it.

    Second, both of your cards are wonderful. Love the cozy cottage, and totally agree on the mug. It is so cute. But you had to put the artistic touch to it that transformed both into such beautiful, warm, welcoming cards. You are so good! And you did PERFECT on the digi/paper piecing!

    Third, thank you so much for giving a shout out for the store! I'm so excited about it, but the support and encouragement from sweet friends like you is what is really making it a joy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Traci! Thank you so much for the wonderful devotional this week! So very true...such a very comforting passage! Both of your cards turned out great! But the first one seems so perfect for this challenge...the warm, cozy home at the end of the road! Love it! Beautiful embossing and distressing too!
    Have a great week!
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traci - These cards are gorgeous! Especially the winter scene of your cabin. How snug and comforting it must be. And how fun redoing some rooms and looking forward to your girls coming this winter! Thanks for the great devotional this week. Hope you are blessed!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traci, as I prepare to take my son to the airport tomorrow for his trip back to school, over 2,000 miles away, I can't tell you what comfort your lovely devotional brought to my aching mom's heart. He is truly anticipating our arrival much more so than we anticipate our own children, what a precious thought! And such lovely cards for this week, too. Wishing you a fabulous Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous cards Traci, I love this Scripture :)
    welcome to the team , look forward to working with you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great reminder of the home being prepared for us in Heaven! Wonderful devotion, Traci! Your cards are beautiful! That cabin looks so inviting and what better way to represent home than Christmastime! I love the cheerfulness of your second card! Hope you're having a blessed week! ~H

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your comments are a treasured part of my day!!