Sunday, November 4, 2012

SSIC~ Grateful!


I know it has been a long time since I have posted on my blog...every once in awhile, you just need to stop what you are doing and reassess your priorities. My husband has had a break from his normal harried and busy work schedule and has been home these past few weeks except for one day a week when he goes into work. He has traveled so much for the past few years...so having him home has made me want to slow down and just be with him...unless like this weekend, he is gone! We have made quite a few trips to our mountain condo and this past week I made a much needed trip over the mountains to visit my parents.
So this is my card for this week's challenge with SSIC. This week's scripture verse is from our very talented and wonderfully encouraging  DT sister and owner of Daydream Designs, Diane Noble.
The scripture:
Colossians 1:3-5-- We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people— the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel.


Diane's Fun Card Challenge:Create a card or project depicting thankfulness or prayer. It can be a Thanksgiving card/project, a thank-you note, or an "I'm Praying for You" type card/project.
This week's sponsor is a generous "grab bag" of stamps from Kelly Little!


Isn't this an encouraging scripture? I am so thankful for so many things in life; and I have spent a lot of time lately just thinking about how many people God has placed in my life at just the right time, including my Design Team "sisters in Christ," as well as my blogging and stamping friends, church friends, Life Group friends, etc...my cup is full!!
I am also very grateful for my parents, and this last trip reminded me once again how precious family is and how short our time together is. I was able to sit by my Mom's bed at night and have some really nice visits...sharing our hearts and what we as Moms earnestly wanted and were praying for with our family members.  My Mom's faith is so simple...she has never taken a Bible study and is not educated or highly knowledgeable. But she has something I sometimes long for and admire, a simple faith !
My Mom was telling me about her early exposure to church...how they would drive in their old beat up car from the farm to the church in town...everyone would go...and life was simpler then. She only remembered two churches in the small town in East Texas where she grew up.

My card was inspired by my Mom's cherry pie! She used to make the best cherry pies; I was reminded of this too, when my Dad had bought a frozen cherry pie in honor of my visit. My only job was to cook it up in the oven and I managed to burn the crust slightly.  My mom's pies had the home made crusts with the lattice strips woven across the top and lightly sugared then baked to yummy perfection!
So when I saw these digital images in the Daydream Designs store (link in my sidebar);I used them to make a "sweet and simple" Thanksgiving card featuring my favorite pie!

These images are recolored; and so cute!! I cut the pie out separately and double mounted it using two circle punches and accented with crystal effects and red twine.These images are from the set :" Blessings of the Harvest." I found the perfect cherry background paper from a Kaiser paper pad; it kind of reminds me of old-fashioned wallpaper.
Well that's about it for today...thanks for popping in. I have been working on a couple of Christmas projects; but wanted to post a couple of Thanksgiving projects first. Blessings on your day!!



5 comments:

  1. Awww...Traci! This is so sweet! Love your card and your post. What a sweet time with your mom...those are moments you will treasure beyond belief some day. It's good to reminisce. Brings back so many things for which to be thankful. Can't wait to see what you have coming up, but this is just so cute. Love it. Glad to see you back on your blog too. Balance is the key! Love you, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card Traci and I know what you mean about stepping back sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci - This is so sweet! Those images are great, but I love what you shared about your parents, the cherry pie and you mom's faith. How sweet and priceless!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love the CAS look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute card design Traci! Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your comments are a treasured part of my day!!