Saturday, June 18, 2011

Grandmom's Quilt


Hi friends! I am here with a post today of something that has been on my mind...a patchwork of thoughts, actually, kind of like this old quilt. My last visit to my parents included going over to Grand mom's small house and with my parent's prodding, taking anything I wanted. Just to clarify, Grandmom passed away at the wonderful old age of 93...I don't usually go and take relative's belongings.  Well, I am not much of a collector of anything, but I knew I wanted Grand mom's quilts. She had tried to sell these, believe it or not, at some craft type store and was only offered 20.00 for each. So at that time (about 12 years ago)...she took them over to my Mom's and offered my Mom and I each to choose one of the five she had. I am so glad she took three of them  back home, although they sat in her closet unused... until now. This photograph is one of the more simple patchwork quilts.  I have plans to keep this on our semi-covered porch over a wicker settee until I can decide what to do with it. I love looking at this quilt...and imagining if maybe one of these squares was a dress my mom wore as a little girl. I don't know too much about quilts, but am sure this was one either my Grand mom or her mom or maybe both sat around and quilted many years ago. I love the rumples and dimples of this homey quilt. I even love that some of the patches are identical right next to each other. It's as if they messed up and didn't realize it until later. Or maybe it was meant to be that way. I can relate to messing up on my cards and not seeing it until it was finished and the photo was taken.
This quilt inspired my card today. I have had this "Quilter's Sampler" set from Papertrey Ink and like many of my stamps, it has not been used enough! I found my complete inspiration on Mish Mash's blog...you can find her blog on my sidebar and click on it. I love the way she uses papers and mixes and matches them to make patchwork art. I used my 3/4 inch punch and punched away at a few designer paper stacks, then had fun just piecing them together. I made one in more greens/oranges/yellows and this one. It was fun and made me happy to see this all completed and ready to give.
Thank you for stopping in.. I will share with you my wicker set revamp I've been doing...all to make a place worthy of this quilt. I have the idea of making the quilt into pillows.  If you have any thoughts on that, I would really enjoy hearing them. Have a blessed day!

7 comments:

  1. LOVE the story and the card. Both beautifully unique and symbolic. I like that. I have a few of my grandmother's quilts too and will eventually get more one day. I love them all. Absolutely beautiful card, Traci. Thanks for sharing your heart and your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the layout you chose! And what a lovely story about your grandma and the quilt, those are treasures waaaaaay beyond any monetary value (esp $20!!!) that anyone could set on them. And I am looking forward to the photos of the wicker settee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci, I love the card and the story behind it. I think it is wonderful you are converting the quilts into pillows you can actually enjoy. The card is very tastefully put together to reflect this heart-felt story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traci....your love for family comes across as you describe the acquisition of the quilts...how wonderful and warm.....and so is your card inspired by the quilting...gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes you are a lucky girl. These quilts are so special. I can't even imagine how much work must go into them. What a great keepsake for you. I have this stamp set too and it has barely been inked. Great card Traci. Love seeing you stamp and can't wait to see pictures of your redo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed reading your post and seeing both the lovely quilt and your pretty card. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was sure I'd commented on this post before, but I can't see it, so I'll try again. Love you story and your card is a lovely reflection of the beautiful quilt. You have a prized possession. I started cutting up fabric for a quilt just before Christmas and then got a little distracted, lol. My favourite quilt is one I finished quilting when I was pregant with my first child (a son). Maybe one day my daughter will treasure the quilt and the story. She's already eyeing off my doiley collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your comments are a treasured part of my day!!